Legal Wedding in Thailand DIY

A Do It Yourself Guide for the legalisation of your marriage in Thailand

1. Visit your embassy in Bangkok and submit a statutory declaration (also known as an affirmation or affidavit) to say that you are a single person who is free to marry. Please note that some embassies require you to make an appoinment for this and will require other supporting documents. Please check with your respective embassy in Bangkok beforehand.

2. Collect the statutory declaration that has been endorsed by your embassy’s consular. Some embassies will endorse your statutory declaration on the same day while others will require up to 3 days to complete the process. Please check with your embassy in Bangkok for the processing time required and fees payable.

3. Get the statutory declaration translated into Thai by an authorized translation bureau in Bangkok. Please note fees will apply

4.Submit your documents (both the Statutory Declarations and their translations) at the Thai Foreign Ministry to have them authenticated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It will take up to 2-3 working days to process the applications. The address and contact details of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the appropriate department to submit the forms to are as follows:

Legalization Division , 3rd floor
Department of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
123 Chaeng Watthana Road
Bangkok 10210

Tel: +66 (2) 575-1056-59 Fax: + 66 (2) 575-1054
Service hours : 08.30 – 14.30 hrs.

Pleas note: Closed on Saturday – Sunday and Public Holidays)

5. Once verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you can collect the documents and then submit them to the Registrar at any Amphur (City Hall) in Thailand. The registrar, once satisfied, will register the marriage and issue duplicate Thai marriage certificates, ready for signature. This normally takes 2 working days to process. Please note that registration of civil marriages usually takes place on a weekday (not public holidays) and also that some Amphurs (City Hall) require a translator to be present.

6. After signature, you’re legally married and have two Thai marriage certificates in your possesion. We heartily recommend that you have your marriage certificates translated by an authorized translation bureau here in Thailand, as it will be more expensive to do in your home country.

Please note:
Some countries require that the translation of your signed Thai marriage certificate is certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs prior to being certified by your embassy. This means that you will need a second visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok as well as your embassy.

Click on the button below to contact us about our Wedding Packages and Legal Wedding Service.